Wednesday, November 21, 2012

In the Red and Brown Water


Oya, the main character of In the Red and Brown Water, is struggling with her decision to run track for the local state college and follow her dreams, or stay with her mother, Mama Mojo, and be by her side since she is sick.  She decides to stay with her mother despite her mother’s wish for her to get away from the projects of Louisiana and succeed in life.  Unfortunately, Mama Mojo dies, leaving Oya depressed and alone.  Along with losing her mother, Oya loses herself: she stops running and is no longer the same friendly, openhearted girl she once was.  Feeling all-alone in the world she succumbs to the flirtatious Shango and falls in desperation for him.  Once Shango leaves for the army, Oya’s priorities and values continue to disappear from her life as she spends the rest of her days searching for meaning in her life.
            To me, the most important thing about the story for Oya was Shango’s constant appearance and disappearance in her life.  She threw her stable relationship with Ogun away for him only to find out he has been with multiple other women.  Her life and who she was was at stake for this relationship.  She did not feel what she felt for Shango in her relationship with Ogun.  I believe that it is important to have love and meaning in a relationship and I admire Oya for knowing that she couldn’t continue a loveless relationship, but she threw it away for someone who was wrong for her.  Shango never offered her stability, which is what she needed.  She wanted Shango as her husband but failed to achieve this.
            I was most compelled by Aunt Elegua’s performance.  She was a great juxtapose of humor to the sad story being told.  Everything about her: her laugh, walk, words were so intriguing.  Everyone loved her because of how unusual of a character she was in the show.  She was able to entertain the audience, and the characters, but still be a voice of reason to Oya like when she showed up at the party Oya was at and brought her home because she knew she was uncomfortable.  She was a character I was never confused by or annoyed with and for that she was my favorite.
            I have no critiques of the performance.  Although very different from most types of theatre I have seen, I loved it.  I believe everyone portrayed their character very well.  This was the first show I’ve seen where the characters project their actions.  At first it was confusing but I found it interesting.  Also, this was a strange mix of a drama and a musical which intrigued me.  I loved the singing and dancing, all of it was remarkable, and I thought it added a spiritual feel to this show.  Overall I loved this theatrical experience because it was so unsual.

No comments:

Post a Comment